Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mashed Butternut Squash


Mashed Butternut Squash

1 or 2 butternut squash (1 would have been enough for our family of three, but we wanted leftovers)
1-2 T. butter
salt
pepper

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) Cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise. (Use a really sharp knife for this one, and be careful.)

3) Scoop out the seeds, and reserve them to toast in the oven later.

4) Spread a thin layer of butter on the cut side of each half.

5) Sprinkle salt and pepper on each half.

6) Roast in oven for about 30 min., or until a knife can easily pierce the squash. Let cool slightly.

7) Scoop out the squash in to a bowl, and mash it up. Add butter, salt and pepper to taste. Reheat in the microwave, if needed.

I had originally planed to add cinnamon, a zest of one orange and a little honey to the mashed squash, but it was delicious as is. If you decide to add the extras, let me know how it tastes.



post signature

5 comments:

Lisa H said...

Yum! That looks SO good! I'll definitely be trying it soon. And personally, I think EVERYTHING is better with a little bit of cinnamon, so I'll probably add that too. :)

Lisa H said...

Well, actually...not EVERYTHING. Just most things. ;)

Momma Roar said...

I've only ever done 1 spaghetti squash and I liked that because it had sauce on it. I'm not sure about this one ... it would take me out of my comfort zone :-\

Short Stop said...

That. Just. Looks. SO GOOD!

YUMMO!

the voice of melody said...

Hi it's my first visit here and I love your blog. I forget where I was before that led me to joyfully stumble over here!

I would love so many of your recipes, and the pictures are great. We eat first with our eyes, right?

Many sweet blessings!