I used to think that shortcakes were those spongy cake things that you sometimes see in grocery stores -- until I saw the cover of the May/June 2009 issue of Victoria magazine (which I do a poor job here of re-creating). The photo on the cover of the magazine looked like a round scone split in half. After doing some research, I learned that shortcakes are, indeed, scones (or a close cousin).I made this mostly according to the recipe. The only change I made was using boysenberry syrup instead of blackberry syrup. I plan to try this using other combinations of berries and syrups as well.
Buttermilk Blackberry Shortcakes
3 C. all-purpose flour
1/3 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. cold butter-flavored vegetable shortening, cut in to cubes
2/3 C. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 T. heavy cream
1 T. turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
4 pints fresh blackberries
3/4 C. blackberry syrup
Garnish: fresh whipped cream
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine the fry ingredients. Using a pastry blender (I used a whisk, cut the shortening in to the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
3) In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk and vanilla extract. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour the milk mixture in to the well. Stir with a fork until mixture just comes together.
4) Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times. Roll dough out to 1-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch fluted round cutter (I used a round cookie cutter), cut shortcakes. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and cream. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the tops of the shortcakes with egg wash, then sprinkle each evenly with the sugar.
5) Place shortcakes on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut shorcakes in half horizontally.
6) In a medium bowl, combine the blackberries and the blackbeery syrup (I used boysenberry). Stir gently to coat. Spoon prepared berries evenly over each shortcake bottom, and garnish each with fresh whipped cream, if desired. Replace shortcake tops before serving.
The recipe says it makes 12 shortcakes. When I made it, it made five fairly large rounds.
Untopped shortcakes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

3 comments:
MMmmmm
This. looks. SO. good.
DROOL!
Oh my....this looks heavenly :)
Post a Comment