Saturday, July 21, 2007

Make-Ahead Broccoli, Cheese & Rice


(I first made this recipe last Thanksgiving as a side dish. My son isn't a big fan of meats, including turkey, so this was a wonderful way for him to get his protein, starch and vegetable in one dish. I found this recipe in Kraft's Food & Family magazine.)


6 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups instant white rice, uncooked
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up
1-1/2 Tbsp. butter
10 RITZ Crackers, crushed
2 Tbsp. KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese


BRING broccoli and broth to boil in medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 min. Stir in VELVEETA; cover. Let stand 5 min. Stir until VELVEETA is completely melted. Spoon into microwaveable serving bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 24 hours.

MEANWHILE, melt butter in small skillet on medium heat. Add cracker crumbs; cook 2 to 3 min. or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Cool completely. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Spoon into resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Store at room temperature up to 24 hours.

VENT plastic wrap covering broccoli mixture by poking a few holes in the top. Microwave on HIGH 5 to 6 min. or until heated through; stir. Sprinkle with cracker crumb mixture. Microwave, uncovered, an additional 2 to 3 min. or until heated through.

Makes 12 servings, 1/2 C. each.

Substitute: Prepared as directed, using Velveeta made with 2% milk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy! This sure sounds good! I'm gonna have to try this soon!

Momma Roar said...

Ooooh, this looks yummy!

Lori said...

OH yummy! We love brocolli and rice here.
I'm going to be trying this recipe.

Mommy said...

Looks very good! I love broccoli, so this will be perfect! :) Thank you.

Kelli said...

Mmm...this looks delicious and perfect for Thanksgiving!
Thank you for joining in the fun this week!
Kelli