
This recipe is actually the result of a mistake that I made when preparing the dish the very first time back in 1993.
I made the dough according to instructions, but had to store it in the fridge because I had forgotten I had an appointment to get to. When I got back home, I took the dough out of the refrigerator and absentmindedly started making it in to a flat pizza shape, rather than in to the traditional loaf shape. Instead of reshaping the dough, I decided to continue what I had started and turn it in to a pizza on focaccia bread. I cut up some Roma tomatoes and red onions that I had on hand, marinated it for a couple of minutes in olive oil and sprinkled on some Italian seasoning. The result is the following recipe.
I made the dough according to instructions, but had to store it in the fridge because I had forgotten I had an appointment to get to. When I got back home, I took the dough out of the refrigerator and absentmindedly started making it in to a flat pizza shape, rather than in to the traditional loaf shape. Instead of reshaping the dough, I decided to continue what I had started and turn it in to a pizza on focaccia bread. I cut up some Roma tomatoes and red onions that I had on hand, marinated it for a couple of minutes in olive oil and sprinkled on some Italian seasoning. The result is the following recipe.
Pizza-Style Focaccia
(Adapted slightly from The Greens Cook Book)
1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/2 tsp.)
1 C. warm water
1 tsp. kosher salt
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sugar
1 1/2 C. unbleached white flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 small red onion, or 1/2 medium red onion
2 Roma tomatoes
Italian seasoning, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
1) Dissolve the yeast in the warm water with the salt, olive oil and sugar. Stir in the flour in two or three additions. Once a dough has formed, turn it out onto a board dusted with flour, and knead it for several minutes, adding only enough flour to keep it from sticking. When the dough is smooth and shiny, set it in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over once, cover, and put it in a warm place to rise until it is doubled in bulk (about 40 minutes).
2) Slice the onion and tomatoes as thinly as possible, and place in a bowl. Add about 1 T. of olive oil, some kosher salt and some Italian seasoning. Set the bowl aside.
3) After the dough has risen, turn it onto the counter and shape it with a rolling pin in to one large or two small ovals, about 1/2-inch thick. Brush the bread lightly with olive oil and sprinkle some kosher salt. Place the dough on a pizza stone and set aside to rise for 20 minutes.
4) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. After the dough has risen, add the veggies. Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the dough is nicely browned. Serve.
This is a great bread to serve as supper any time of the year, but especially during Lent because of its simplicity: It doesn't use cheese or tomato sauce.

2 comments:
MMmmmmm looks yummy!
When is your cookbook due out? :)
HAHA - the word verification is "snows" LOL!!! sorry
Have you ever tried it with pizza sauce and cheese? I think T and I would love the onions and tomatoes, but not sure about the kiddos? Maybe it will be a "2 pies" kind of night when I try it! Will do soon - I remember drooling over this the first time you posted - can't believe I forgot! :-O
Post a Comment