Friday, April 4, 2008

Southwest Chicken Skillet


Southwest Chicken Skillet
(This is one of Just Family's favorites. I found it in the "Big Book of 30-Minute Dinners," by Carrie Holcomb. I like to serve it with warmed flour tortillas, but it can be eaten as is.)

3/4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 T. cooking oil
1 15-oz. jar salsa
1/4 C. chicken broth
1/2 C. chopped green sweet pepper
1/4 C. sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
1 C. quick-cook rice
1/2 C. (about 2 oz.) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Green sweet pepper strips (optional)

1. Rinse chicken, pat dry. Cut into 1-inch pieces.

2. In a large skillet cook and stir chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.

3. Stir in salsa, chicken broth, chopped green pepper and olives. Bring to boil. Stir in rice.

4. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with sweet pepper strips, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Momma Roar said...

YUM!!!!!

SaraLynn said...

this looks delicious! So glad I stumbled across your blog :)